Kitchen Commando: Grilled Pineapple Ice Cream Puffs

At the tail end of the week I love the challenge of using up the odds and ends in the pantry and refrigerator.  If I produce something palatable I feel like I've accomplished something ever so slightly magical.  In honor of this economical (and entertaining) practice I'll be dedicating a number of posts to my experimental endeavors. Enjoy!

The Ingredients:
Pineapple
Puff pastry shells
Vanilla ice cream

The Idea:
Grilled Pineapple Ice Cream Puffs

The Execution:
I cooked the puff pastry shells according to the package directions.  While they were cooling I grilled left over pineapple over high heat to sweat and caramelize the sugar, concentrating the flavor of the fruit.  I chopped the pineapple into small triangular slices.


Now comes the fun and artistic part of cooking your own food, creating a beautiful presentation.  I begun by placing a pastry shell in the center of a wide white bowl.  I scooped a perfect little sphere of ice cream in each shell, pressed the warm pineapple into the cool ice cream, sprinkled a little cinnamon on top and Violá! Simple, delicious and beautiful!

Comments

Popular Posts